Top 10 Help Desk/Customer Service Interview Questions and Answers
In most cases, in order to properly address the following questions; a multi-part answer is provided for each and is expected to be recited during an interview.
- What makes a good Help Desk employee?
- Have the ability to listen and resolve problems.
- Be able to resolve issues fast and concisely by explaining the situation in an easy to follow manner.
- Have patience and understanding with customers.
- How would you deal with an issue that you can’t resolve or understand?
- Ask appropriate questions to get to the bottom of the issue without aggravating the customer.
- You would contact or inquire about a solution from a coworker or a manager.
- If you come across a frustrated customer, how would you deal with this situation?
- The reassuring customers that their issue will be resolved is a sure way to calm them down.
- It is important to stay calm yourself and not get frustrated in order to handle the situation properly.
- Have you ever had a conflict with someone, and if so how did you resolved it?
- Try to provide a minimal conflict situation in which the issue was resolved in a professional and courteous manner
- You can also provide an answer where it was a simple misunderstanding and how you were able to resolve the issue.
- How would you rate yourself from 1-5, based on the ability t resolve issues?
- If you are new to Help Desk and customer service, you may not wish to rate yourself at 5 because the following question may not be something you can answer. In this answer, you could rate yourself at4.
- You rate yourself at 5 if you have previous Help Desk experience and are sure that you can answer any other questions that may follow.
- How do you stay up to date with IT knowledge?
- For this answer, you can mention that the internet, books, and education as sources of knowledge in order to keep up with the fast-evolving IT world.
- Be ready to cite your sources as this may be a follow-up question.
- Why do you wish to work with Help Desk?
- Provide honest answers to this by stating that you like to troubleshoot computer problems and gain pleasure in helping others. Also mentioned that Help Desk is a good place to learn new things.
- How do you stay organized?
- You can provide specific ways on how you stay organized; for example, you can mention that you take notes and prioritize tasks at hand in order to resolve the issues inefficient manner.
- You utilize any tools provided in order to stay organized. In this example, you could mention MS Outlook, Word, Excel or similar software in addition to taking paper notes.
- Do you think it’s important to be a team player?
- It is very important to be a good team player because it shows that you are willing to work with others.
- A good team player can resolve more difficult issues in a more efficient manner; especially when working with different departments within the company.
- Which ticketing system are you familiar with?
- If you have experience with the Help Desk, for this question you would simply state which ticketing system you have used in the past.